Friday, October 13, 2006

Pardon me. Do you have any Grey Poupon?

For my 150th post, I thought I'd find out how much I'm worth.

My blog is worth $2,822.70. How much is your blog worth?

I could buy a lot of funny tasting mustard with that. In honor of my 150th post, I'm having two contests. The first person to post a knitting joke that makes me laugh out loud will get a prize from my stash. The second contest is a blatant effort to get a free button. I am utterly button challenged. As I'm considering a name change, I'm looking for a button for any of the three names. Stitch and Kvetch, Tink & Drink, or The Pattern Slave. The Winner will get some extra special yarn from The Stash. E-mail me at levis_mama at yahoo... you know the rest.

In other news:

  • I finished the Flower Wreath hat from Itty Bitty Knits. I took a picture of it and will post as soon as I can figure out how the 'rents camera works. This is an incredibly cute pattern. I think the flowers are supposed to go all the way around the hat, but that doesn't seem very comfortable for the baby, so I just did the front.
  • I also ripped FBS back to a row that was done correctly, only to get to row 5 and frak it all up again. I'm on the seventh repeat so I'm sure this isn't a pattern error. Well, it could be a pattern error and I've screwed up this row 6x already. This is driving me nuts, b/c the previous row has the correct number of stitches.
  • I was all set to finish the Unikat sweater but I forgot to pack the bloody needles.
  • I finished the back and about 1/2 of the front of the pink Sierra sweater. It's a trendsetter pattern that has 4 pink lacy sweaters done in ScoubiDu (what a name rip off). I forgot that pattern, too so I can only move a little forward on the front before having to stop for the armscye shaping.
  • I'm halfway through Little Man's scarf in Nasua Wooly Stripes. Orange, of course.
  • I'm into the first ribbing increase row on Something Chocolate, but don't like how the increases look. Jacqui at Wool Winders told me a different increase (purl f/b) in the purl part of the rib on the right side rather than M1 on the wrong side. I think it will look much better.
  • The Gelato bag for the shop is completely frakked up. After I wove in all the ends I realized that the straps and flap are on the sides of the bag rather than on the front and back. I dread going back to it, but I have to get it done for the shop - and soon.

I went to Knit Happens today. It was rather disappointing. I'd heard so many nice things about this store on some D.C. area blogs and I drove 40 minutes to get to it. (I actually braved the Beltway for the 1st time in over 15 years!) I was not greeted after they were done with the customer at the register except for the clerk to say "excuse me" to reach past me while helping a different customer. I was mostly ignored left alone, which is usually fine. I just prefer to be greeted and asked if there is anything I'm looking for. The only reason I learned about the sale items in the back room is b/c I overheard the gentleman teaching a sock class pointing it out to his students. The most absolutely most annoying thing, however, was that the price labels were huge (approx. 1.5" x 2.5") and placed on the front of the label that you can't see the name of the yarn, and in some cases yardage or content. The name of the yarn was on the label, but not the other info.

Next time I'm not making the special trip. Ten years in retail providing, frankly, excellent service to my customers left me more than a little picky about service. I'll stick with Wool Winders in Rockville and Yarns International in Bethesda. Stitch DC was nice when I visited last year. The primary lines represented in the shop Westminter fibers (Rowan Nashua Jaeger) and KFI shop - heavy into Debbie Bliss, light on Noro; some Arucania, Magellanes and Patagonia, Laines du Nord, Louisa Harding. No Lavold. They also had some domestically produced yarn - Koigu, Fiesta, Cherry Tree Hill (very little) and another I can't recall. There was a little Millenweit sock yarn - also on sale - a little Mission Falls, Misti Alpaca and a nice feeling superwash wool I can't recall the name of. Almost no novelty yarns unless they were in the 60% off bin. GGH/Muench was being discontinued and on sale 35% off. I bought some brown cotton for a Picovoli Tee or maybe a Green Gable if I have enough. Jade Sapphire cashmere was 40% off and I picked up 2 hanks in turquoise 4 ply for a lacey-ish cravat to go with the new green coat. I didn't go through the individual patterns, but the selection of pattern books for the lines they carried was terrific. The book section was nice. The comfy chairs are much too close to the bookshelves, making it nearly impossible to get to the books if someone is in a chair. Other than that, the store is clean and well lit.

2 Comments:

At 10/16/2006 08:06:00 AM, Blogger AmyDe said...

What happened to the kitty who ate a ball of yarn?


She had mittens!

 
At 10/16/2006 10:24:00 AM, Anonymous Michelle said...

I felt the same way about Knit Happens. The yarn was lovely but the service was "eh." It felt very clique-y to me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger

hit counters
Zappos Coupons